Common Electrical Issues Everyone Should Be Aware Of

Whether you have a business or own a home, you’ll want to ensure you know what common electrical problems you need to avoid. These problems include tripping circuit breakers, dead outlets, burning out light bulbs, and short-circuiting dimmer switches.

Dead Outlets

Having a dead outlet is frustrating but not invariably fatal. If you attempt to do it yourself, you could cause more harm than good. It’s best to consult a pro from Sparks Electric about repairing or replacing your faulty outlet.

First and foremost, you should unplug any devices from the dead outlet. This will help prevent any further problems from occurring. The next step is to remove the outlet from the wall.

To determine if the outlet is faulty, you can try to plug a lamp into it. You could also install a ground wire. This should work, but if not, it might be time for a replacement.

Circuit Breakers Trip

A circuit breaker is a great way to protect your home from electrical malfunctions. However, if your breaker keeps tripping, you should investigate the meaning of the tripped circuit breaker to find out if you have a problem that needs a solution.

Overload is the most frequent reason for a circuit breaker to trip. This can occur when too many electrical devices are plugged into one outlet. This can cause heat and possibly cause a fire.

Circuit overload can also occur when the wiring inside your electrical outlet is faulty. If this is the case, you should hire an electrician to inspect and fix your wiring.

High Voltage Surges

Whether in a modern home or a house built years ago, you should know the difference between power surges and voltage spikes. These two types of electrical problems can damage appliances and electronics in your home. Using surge protectors can help you prevent these electrical problems.

Power surges are brief and high-voltage jolts of electricity. They can damage expensive electronics and appliances. They can also damage the wiring that powers your devices. If you notice frequent power surges, your home may have faulty wiring or poor-quality power boards.

Power surges can be caused by many different things, including lightning strikes, tree limbs falling on power lines, and malfunctions in transmission lines. If you suspect a problem with your electrical wiring, contact an electrician to fix the problem.

Burning Out Light Bulbs

Fortunately, you can do some simple things to avoid this problem. First, you should consider switching to energy-efficient bulbs. These lights are lower wattage and therefore are a lot more durable. Also, consider LED lights. These lights do not have filaments and therefore do not have the same pitfalls as incandescent bulbs.

In fact, they can even prevent light bulb burnout. However, changing the bulb every time it burns out is not a good idea. In addition, you may be wasting money on light bulbs that will burn out too soon.

For a start, consider the quality of the bulb and the type of fixture it is in. If it’s an incandescent bulb, chances are good that it’s not made for the job.

Short-Circuiting in Dimmer Switches

Having a dimmer switch in your home may be a good idea, but it could also be a nightmare. If you are experiencing a buzzing or dimming problem, you should check it out as soon as possible.

The problem may be as simple as loose wire connections or a wiring defect. It would help if you examined your electrical panel and each link inside a receptacle to determine the issue’s root.

One way to test whether your switch works is to replace the bulb. If it isn’t, there is a good chance that the switch needs repair.

Arc Fault

Having an arc fault in your home is a hazardous condition. It can create heat that can ignite nearby combustibles. It is also a precursor to a short circuit.

An arc fault occurs when loose or corroded wiring connections create intermittent contact. This contact causes an energized “hot” current to contact the neutral wiring pathway. The temperature can reach up to 10,000 degrees Fahrenheit. When this happens, the heat can damage the insulation on the wires.

When an arc fault is not repaired, the wiring will generate heat. This heat can ignite combustibles nearby or melt the insulation on the wires. Because of this, it’s crucial to avoid arcing in your house.