If your home is looking a little tired and dingy, maybe it’s time for a fresh coat of paint. With a few days of work and commitment from general contractors in your area, you can add new life and sparkle to the interior of your home.
New paint is one of the easiest and least expensive ways to change the look and feel of your home. With a fresh coat of new paint, you can clean up dirty walls, brighten up the room, change interior colors, and increase your home’s property value. New paint is a fast, simple way to give your home’s interior a quick facelift without spending a lot of money.
Choosing the Right Paint
When it’s time for new paint, choosing the right paint is important for a good paint job. Good quality paint should cover easily, wear well, and provide easy cleaning and maintenance. Here are some different paint options and design tips to consider:
* High-Gloss – Provides high durability and easy cleaning. It’s a great choice for kitchen and bathroom cabinets, interior doors, and trim. It’s ultra-shiny and reflects light, but it shows imperfections on walls and ceilings.
* Semi-Gloss – Provides high durability and easy cleaning. It’s good for kitchen and bathroom walls and trim where moisture, spills, and grease stains are a problem. It has a slightly lower sheen than a high-gloss paint.
* Satin – Provides high durability and easy cleaning. With a velvety, soft finish, it works well in high-traffic areas like foyers, hallways, childrens’ rooms and family rooms. Satin paint can show roller or brush strokes with improper application.
* Eggshell – Provides medium durability and cleaning. Eggshell paint has no shine, but it does have a slight luster. It’s best used in moderate traffic areas that don’t take a lot of abuse like bedrooms, living rooms and dining rooms.
* Flat or Matte – Provides medium-low durability and cleaning. Flat paint has the most pigment and provides the most coverage on walls, since it doesn’t reflect any light. It works well in interior spaces that don’t get much wear-and-tear.
* Eco-Friendly Paints – Using a paint with low or zero VOC (volatile organic compounds) can help improve the air quality in your home, reduce air-borne pollutants, smelly odors and toxic fumes, and prevent mold and mildew growth.
Design Tips: When painting with a dark color, choose a satin or eggshell finish. Dark colors have more colorant which boosts sheen. If your walls have imperfections, choose a lighter paint color with a low sheen. A higher sheen will show more defects. Note: Lighter paint colors make spaces feel larger because they reflect light. Darker paint colors make spaces feel smaller because they absorb light.